Monday, October 8, 2012

Clanging - Rhyming in Schizophrenia

For the non-psychologists out there, clanging is the tendency for a small number of people with schizophrenia (or psychosis more broadly) to utter words that rhyme.  In my experience, I've only seen clanging when patients are trying to communicate with others (rather than just talking to themselves; however, I'd bet it occurs then as well).  When engaging in conversation, a sentence might start out ok, but then patients seem to get stuck on a particular word and then generate words that rhyme with it.  Today I saw it in a different form.

During a Mini Mental Status exam, in response to the "write a sentence" item, a patient wrote the following:
"To be gotten before refrigerator mentor, blue jeans is my favorite outlaw.  Just for my jeans my love Irish your.  Where my legions friend."

There's clearly a lot of looseness going on there, but do you see the written clanging?
"To be gotten before refrigerator mentor, blue jeans is my favorite outlaw [<- that might be clanging too, not sure].  Just for my jeans my love Irish your.  Where my legions friend"

Interesting.  It makes sense that clanging can be written as well as spoken, I've just never seen it before.



Post a Comment